Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Main > Suggestions

Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Semi-public

It would be interesting if there was an option between public and non-public.

I like the idea of having a private database for my coins. I don't mind displaying them, and even think it will be useful for people to find my coins in searches.

I am not sure I like the idea of people being able to 'google' my user id, and suddenly my coins start popping up. A semi-private choice seems useful, although probably different people have different ideas what fields should be private, so perhaps it's more complicated.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 PM

I like the idea

PUBLIC - Anyone can see

PRIVATE - No one but you

REGISTERED or SUBSCRIBER - Only subscribers can see

I am guessing that like you I would not mind a bit any other Tantalus user seeing my coins ... but just the public rather not ...

I like it,

Tony
Old 08-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Hello Snakehair - you may or may not have known about the feature that allows you to make single coins or entire albums private/public at the click of a button. You can find the checkboxes for each in the record itself near the bottom as well as as album-wide viewing rights under the manage albums section.

To the best of my knowledge Google has no means to spider the database so if a coin were to show up on that or any other search engine the direct url would have to have been made public although, of course, someone could do this without your knowing. Ultimately the only way to be sure only YOU could see any individual entry is for that entry to be marked private.

Ras
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Ras...I think Snakehair is saying something different (correct me if I am wrong Snakehair).

I think he is looking for a class or type that would only allow registered or subscribers access.

registered would be people that have signed up...

subscribers would be people that are paying the monthly fee.

I think he was meaning registered. that would allow him to share his coins with a more limited or trusted group and not remove them from viewing all together if he selects private.....more or less you have to join Tantalus (but don't have to pay the monthly fee to see the coins).

I'll call it club mode :-)

just a thought...and since it is free to register...all they have to do to see a wider selection of coins is register.....it would also allow the dealers to run Tantalus Users specials that are only available to registered members....

wild thoughts from the MNPolock
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 PM

Usually when I join forums I use my email address, 'esnible', but I was afraid to with Tantalus. This is because my friends google me. Although they know I collect coins it seems foolhardy to display my purchases and values online. It also works the other way -- if someone sees a coin on Tantalus it is pretty easy to find my real name and address, and thus the current location of the coin.

For example, the first coin I see in Tantalus is http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/17625.php . The 'entered by', 'added on' are the fields I'd want to keep private. The suggestion of 'semi-private' is to hide those fields.

In my case there is only one realname for esnible (easily findable by googling) and only one person with that name (address easily findable via zabasearch.com). For folks with more common names this is less of a problem. Zabasearch finds a Rasiel Suarez, about your age, but not in Asheville.

The other privacy concern goes in the other direction. My wife knows about my coin purchases but not all collectors work that way. Some collectors would rather keep their investment habits more private, but don't mind if folks use the pictures for attribution.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Hmmm - perhaps we could make each individual field editable as to privacy settings? Not sure what that would mean for the bottom line in terms of programming or user-friendliness but it's a thought. My system of all-or-nothing is evidently too crude!

I'm not sure I can commit resources to this at this time what with a backlog of "wish list" features running three pages long but it's definitely worth considering as I can see the need.

Ras