Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Main > Suggestions

Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Flips

Ras,

I enter most of coins into both Moneta and Tantalus. Both systems have their benefits and limitations but overall I prefer Tantalus. Among the things that Moneta does better than Tantalus (IMHO) there are only two reasons that keep me from discontinuing the use of Moneta.

The first is that I can carry it with me and add coins without an internet connection. I don't do this very often but it is nice to know I can.

The second, and more important reason is the ability to print flips. The addition of this feature would vastly improve the utility of Tantalus.

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Matt, to put it bluntly, you've pointed out the worst of the Tantalus' weaknesses. The first is obvious and has been addressed only partially by the new import/export feature which allows if not entry at least your already entered coins to be viewed and studied while on the road.

The second, flips, is one I have to admit has me stumped technically. The reason is that Tantalus was designed to accommodate any coin out there - not just ancient this or modern that. To implement flips I would have to first come up with a universal template or individualized templates for each flip. Then there is the issue that Tantalus is not restricted to running just on PC's but will work on Macs and any other system capable of browsing the internet. Ensuring that the flip data gets transferred correctly from the browser to every printer regardless of operating system would be a programming nightmare.

I'm sorry I'm offering 0 for 2. Are there any other limitations compared to ANY other software program that you can think of? I have a list of over 50 additions I'd like to see implemented into Tantalus over the coming months and it's never too difficult thinking of new ones. We're a small company and the only thing holding us back from developing it faster is money.

Ras
Old 04-29-2006, 06:31 PM

Ras,

I hope I didn't hit a nerve. Please be assured that I greatly enjoy Tantalus and there are I will continue to use it for a long time. I am also impressed that you seem to have really put thought into all the problem I have seen or heard about.

As a Finaicial Controller in the software industry for over 10 years, I have some idea of your problems and limitations and do understand your situation. I will look for ward to seeing your innovations and improvementsw.

Matt
Old 05-03-2006, 07:41 AM

Ras,

I think the solution to your flip issue is template and PDF based. If you set up a general template idea and allow users to Turn on and off items that they do not want to see... I think you will be able to find a solution that will work for all the areas ... basically hit the highlights and make sure that you have them nailed and then add some of the "nice" to have's on the flips.

To solve your browser and cross plstform issues have it render the flips as a PDF... which will be independent of the platform or browser ... you can have it add a file for download like the export does right now.

Email me if you have some questions ...I'll try and drop you a note about the basics that I think need to be in a flip with some ideas,

Tony
Old 05-03-2006, 07:43 AM

I forgot to add... it will also elimante your issue with your custom font (I think but am not sure) people will like to see the mint marks... especially if they are Moneta users.