Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Coins > Roman Coins

Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Default 5th Century Late Roman Attribution Problem

I'm having extreme difficulties attributing this coin. I'm wondering if you guys could give me some assistance. I would greatly appreciate it.

Based on my research this coin could be one of the following emperors. Leo I, Leontius or Zeno. The two main problems are that there is not enough legend on the obverse. On the reverse, the top of the monogram is off of the flan.

What letters there are on the obverse legend doesn't make sense. Unless it's a barbarous coin. The coin doesn't seem to match up with Vandal or Ostrogoth coins either.

I think the obverse has nice details for this time period.

EDIT:

Sorry about that. I wasn't aware that hotlinking has been blocked. I uploaded to a different place.

Last edited by Gil-galad : 02-14-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 5th Century Late Roman Attribution Problem

Not 5th, 6th (pretty sure). See http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/33490.php

There is to my knowledge no restrictions on hotlinking from this end. It's likely the site that's hosting that is preventing it.... why not just upload it here on Tantalus to be safe?

Ras
Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Not 5th, 6th (pretty sure). See http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/33490.php

I see some resemblance on the reverse portrait. I believe it's a draped and cuirassed bust right. You could be right, but the monogram looks like 5th century to me. Unless there is something I'm not seeing right now.

Quote:
There is to my knowledge no restrictions on hotlinking from this end. It's likely the site that's hosting that is preventing it.... why not just upload it here on Tantalus to be safe?

The coin photo was uploaded to another site and they block outside usage. I uploaded it to Imageshack to show the photo here.

I haven't uploaded it here for a few reasons. One of them being that I am uncertain about the emperor attribution of the coin at the moment. I want to be certain about all the details before making a record here.

The coin is not mine at the moment. Since I am working from a limited budget and working on my emperor set, I try to purchase coins that I am really certain about attribution.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 AM

It looks like Leo I to me. I even think the obverse legend may be a close match to this one: http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/34291.php