Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Coins > Roman Coins

Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 AM
romancoincollector

Default I need help with a coin

Hello all,
I have what appears to be a late roman bronze AE3 that has an unusual reverse in conjunction with the bust of an emperor that is unrecognizable to me. Could this be a barbarous coin? Oddly I have two of these coins from a lot I bought in Germany..so they are probably not rare. Sorry but I don't have an image yet. I am new to this forum and havent worked out attachments.
The reverse seems late 4th century at the earliest....there are three stick-like figures each with an O over their heads. There is a small dot in two of the Os. Wreaths, eyes, syzygy of planets, halos...I'm not sure. There is a large letter (perhaps an N) below to the left of the figures looking somewhat Byzantine, but it doesn't seem to match the bust of the emperor on the obverse and I can't make out the obverse legend and am not sure if it is in Greek or Latin such is the state.
Please advise.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 AM
romancoincollector

Default Re: I need help with a coin

I think it is a Caracalla provincial coin with three military standards from Nicaea. Sorry to disturb you. Both coins were worn so much they looked a bit barbarous....
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 AM
romancoincollector

alexander severus actually....from Nicaea with the reverse legend going through the standards....got it finally.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 PM

That's great that you got it. You can also post a photo of the coin, obverse and reverse.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
anosh123

Lugdunum issued rare gold quinarii with type Victory seated right on globe, holding wreath, for Augustus and Tiberius almost annually from 11 BC until the end of Tiberius' reign, and continued the same series for Caligula. The issues and specimens now known for Caligula are as follows: Issue 1, 37 AD, TR POT COS, King 1, three specimens (BM 6, Forli ex Piancastelli, one in trade, King c=d). Issue 2, 37-38 AD, TR POT, head still bare. Our unique coin, previously unpublished, from the same obverse die as the third specimen of Issue 1. Issue 3, 38-39 AD, TR POT ITER, King 2, four specimens (BM 21, Munich, Florence, one in trade). Issue 4, 40-41 AD, TR POT IIII, King 3, three specimens (BM 31, Paris 40, one in trade). Totals: four issues, eleven specimens, seven in museums. Our specimen and three others, exactly one of each issue, are still in private hands. It would not be surprising, however, if a gold quinarius of Caligula dated TR POT III turned up someday, perhaps also one dated TR POT with laureate portrait.