Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Coins > Roman Coins

Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
whitewhale056

Default Cleaning Tips

I'm guessing this may be on this site on another place, but I was curious as to what methods most use to clean Roman coins. I have one in particular that I'd like to come out as best as possible, but this is the first time I am doing this.

Right now, I'm just soaking the coins in mineral oil and watching the dirt come off.

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing or pointing me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

thanks!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Soaking in Mineral oil isn't a bad way to go. Crude olive oils and distilled water can also be used. Try taking it out once a day and brushing is with a hard toothbrush, rinsing it off and then letting it soak again. There are a lot of other methods that can also be used. Too much or inclusion here.

You might want to try joining one or more of the yohoo groups devoted to ancient coins. Here are few:

uncleanedcoins@yahoogrooups.com
coinzappers@yahoogroups.com
ancientpeddler@yahoogroups.com
UAC@yahoogroups.com

Noble Roman Coins webiste http://www.nobleromancoins.com/ has cleaning instructions and supplies for sale. The Dirty Old Coins website http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/ has some cleaning instruction online.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM

I soak in mineral oil or water too. I also sometimes put on a thin layer of Elmer's Glue for when scrubbing won't take stuff off. You could try electrolysis, but it is rather risky. It often will remove the patina. www.dirtyoldcoins.com has info on setting one up.
nhochrein
Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Electrolysis is not very risky. I don't know anyone who nhas destroyed a coin this way. The worst that has happened is that the patrina has been stripped. There is a yahoo group devoted to electrolysis: coinzappers@yahoogroups.com

Matt
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Stripping the patina is what I meant by risky. I have used electrolisis a lot and have striped many patinas :-)
Nathan
Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Cleaning Tips

I found an E-Book on coin cleaning. Here is the link: http://nobleromancoins.com/product_i...roducts_id=182
Nathan