Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Coins > Roman Coins

Old 08-17-2006, 06:05 AM

Default An interesting BEATA TRANQVILITAS

Please check out my coin #17166. This is a Constantinian era BEATA TRANQVILITAS.

I have been unable to fully attribute this coin and, based on emails to/from Mark Lehman on the AncientPeddler list, I am now inclined to believe it is an ancient copy. Wanted to know if anyone else has seen a similar example of this coin.

The mintmark is for Lugdunum.

The obv/rev match has led me to think the coin is Constantine I but the quality of the coin is too poor to allow me to completely rule out Constantine II.

The reverse is where it gets interesting. There are three problems here:

1) It is the only example I have ever seen of a BEATA TRANQVILITAS without three stars over the altar. ERIC doesn't even list this as a possibility for the reversae type.
2) The inscritpion on the altar is blundered. The "T" in VOTIS XX is missing so that it reads VO/IS/XX
3) The formation of the letters in the ionscriptions may be incorrect on both sides of the coin. On the Obverse the A and V in AVG don't look quite rtight. On the Reverse the final A in BEATA looks exactly like the R in TRANQVILITAS and the A following the R looks more like an H. This, of course, could be due to wear as the coin is of poor quality.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Matt
Old 08-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Matt, from a quick glance the coin does look barbarous. In particular the treatment of the obverse seems much too abstract for the period even though details on the coin itself are obscured.

Thanks for looking out for coins not in ERIC. If you want, adding the word "unlisted" in any of the reference fields is sure to make it come on my radar for ERIC II :-)

Ras