Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Main > Suggestions

Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Importing data

Ras,

Is there any thought to adding the ability to import data from other sources?

I have about 250 coins on Moneta that were there before Tantalus was avialable. I now add coins to both as I like both products. While I don't plan on discontuing the use of either, I would love to be able to share data between them.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Hi Matt,

Our next major upgrade will include the ability to do both imports and exports. However, it's iffy whether the import feature will be able to read any one software program. Unfortunately, coin software has so far been designed in proprietary formats and, to my knowledge, no one program can work with each other's output.

Tantalus will be the first to export in industry standard xml and html formats and be able to import from same. In addition to providing you with a backup of your coins having these will also allow you to see your collection offline with your browser wherever you happen to be. There is a possibility that Tantalus will embrace other popular formats such as Access, Excel, FileMaker, etc. assuming sufficient demand.

In your particular situation, I am not personally familiar with Moneta's file export scheme but, again, if it's html or one of the above standards there's a reasonably good chance we'll be able to get them into Tantalus.

Ras
Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Hi Matt,

I have the import guide posted now and am working on a conversion of Moneta to Tantalus and Tantalus to Moneta ... but I have to figure out the whole font translation issue ... going to either be some major excel macros or a small access app (leaning towards access) ... I know your a numbers guys to :-) care to work on it!

Thanks,

Tony
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

tony if you can make that work it'll be nothing short of a miracle - an app that can convert back and forth between tantalus and any other software app would be awesome. i don't have any clue regarding tantalus' own export scheme other than it's in html. there's no encryption of the source or the output so if you know programming you should be able to make sense of it.

keep me in the loop please!

ras
Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM

But of course!

I actually have been planning on doing one for Ancient Assistant to Moneta anyways ... so it is just a matter of really figuring out how to control the areas that get special characters. And for that I need to figure out each letter that Tantalus has and what it looks like ... which I should be able to do with the export feature and then figure each Numus letter and the proper conversions and the proper "marker" for letters that are not in one the other ... the trick is parsing and I am going to have to lean on one of my developers to see if I can get some freebie code :-) ... then AA should be a brezze.

Regardless ... I'll let you know what I actually figure it out.

Tony