Tantalus - the online coin registry

Go Back   Tantalus Online Coin Registry > Main > Suggestions

Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Default A new coin area needed?

Ras,

A coin has been listed for sale at Tantalus that is a reproduction:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/14960.php

I don't believe there is any intentional deception...the seller just did the best he could. The seller identifies the coin as a copy in the description, but I was nearly fooled into buying it until I read the whole listing. It has been placed in the "Roman Imperial" coin type area & at first glance someone might think they are buying a real coin. If such coins are going to be listed at Tantalus we really need a "Reproductions" area where coin copies can be clearly identified.

Joe Winnett
Old 04-22-2006, 07:50 AM

Default Re: A new coin area needed?

Joe and Ras,

I listed the coin that prompted Joe's posting. I am sorry Joe was almost fooled as I did everything available to me to make sure that this was clkearly labelled a MODERN REPLICA - Including the note that I puirchased it by accident thinking it was real (although I did so at 4:00 AM while unable to sleep).

I am not sure what Joe means by seperate "area" but I, personally, would like to see a coin type for "Replica" added. A box could be added next to or in place of demonitaion to let the viewer know what it is a replica of. The volume of trade done on eBay by Dorchestoers and a couple others that exclusivbely sell replicas makes me think that thisd is a real area of collecting on its own and should not be excluded.

Another Type I would like to see added is "Ancient." I have not added my Puri, Elymais and other coins as I don't see them fitting in any of the current catagories.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 04-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichter
Joe and Ras,

I listed the coin that prompted Joe's posting. I am sorry Joe was almost fooled as I did everything available to me to make sure that this was clkearly labelled a MODERN REPLICA - Including the note that I puirchased it by accident thinking it was real (although I did so at 4:00 AM while unable to sleep).

I am not sure what Joe means by seperate "area" but I, personally, would like to see a coin type for "Replica" added. A box could be added next to or in place of demonitaion to let the viewer know what it is a replica of. The volume of trade done on eBay by Dorchestoers and a couple others that exclusivbely sell replicas makes me think that thisd is a real area of collecting on its own and should not be excluded.

Another Type I would like to see added is "Ancient." I have not added my Puri, Elymais and other coins as I don't see them fitting in any of the current catagories.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

I hope you didn't take any offense at my comments...as I said, I belive you were doing the best you could with the tools currently available. I too have some reproductions I would like to list when that "type" is added to the Tantalus list.

My note to Ras was simply to suggest that we solve this "problem" and create a category for coin copies before we wind up with some disappointed customers.

Joe W.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:59 PM

Joe,

No offense taken. I felt bad that you were almost fooled like I actually was and wrote to give my two cents on the issue.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Very sorry to learn of the angst this has caused. I will have a replica template added as soon as possible and hopefully this will solve the issue. Please be reminded however that if someone were selling a fake or deliberately selling a replica as the real thing we'd be unable to do anything about it until it caught our attention.

Ras
Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Another new coin type suggestion

Ras,

I don't know if this ever made it onto the todo list, but I have been thinking about it a lot. I really would like to see a coin type for Reproductions added. Additionally, as a user of Moneta-L, CFDL, AncientPeddler and a couple other yahoo groups, I was curious about the posibility that some other groups may be of benefit:

Parthian
Judean (or Jewish)
Chinese

It may be that the addition of a class called "Other Ancient" may satisfy this. I just added an Achaeminid Siglos. After consideration I included it as "Greek" becasue it didn't seem to fit well next to Jamaica and Barbados in "World." As I write this, I don't remeber where I posted my Alexander Janneaus (I think Gereek also).

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

new templates are always on the top of the menu! the main issue as such is just thinking through what makes each template unique from the others in terms of fields. sometimes i also wonder whether it's worth it to integrate a feature that would include foreign alphabets; ie., hebrew characters for a judean template.

i need to learn what the collectors in each area need and then i can design the template before handing it over to the programmers.

it'll get done :-)

ras
Old 05-17-2006, 04:56 PM

Ras,

From my software background I have a suggestion that might take some of the template problems off your list. Why not ask for user volunteers to Beta-Test a new template? This way you put the bare bones together and let users look at it. After their comments are incorporated you put it into the live version. This can be implemented for any changes - not just templates.

I know I would be happy to give some time to this (althought I can't say my wife would be happy for me to give time to it). From looking at the postings in the forums, I trhink there are a few others that would be happy to do it.

Also, in relation to my last posting, I think my suggestions would overly-fragmnet the needs of the users. I think that maybe a single additional catagory called "Ancient World" woiuld suffice for my needs.

Regards,

Matt